'Blade of the Immortal' Review: Constant creative gory fun!


I took a stab at watching Blade of the Immortal and I have to say it was some "bloody" enthralling stuff.

In what is director Takashi Miike's 100th film (13 Assassins, Ichi The Killer), Takuya Kimura takes the lead as the protagonist, Manji, the man who has been cursed with immortality, on a long quest for redemption.

Manji is a highly skilled samurai in feudal Japan who promises to help a young woman avenge the death of her parents. Their mission leads them into bloody battle, after bloody battle with a ruthless warrior and his band of master swordsmen.

The film's star Carry's some emotional heft throughout the film, struggling ever since he lost his little sister, all he wants to do is join her, but, his curse won't let him, not until he has re-written his wrongs 1000 times over.

I have never seen, nor read the original manga series, but I knew that he has to kill 1000 evil men in order to regain his mortality... sold!

The fight scenes are out of this world, the choreography was first-rate, the action is constant creative gory fun, all the acting was brilliant, the editing and visuals were great, I was 100% invested.

I have a big passion for Japanese and Korean films, there always beautifully done and smartly made, plus they have a knack for crafting the most beautiful sword-fights known to man, but, I swear literally every single film I have ever watched is always a good 2 hours long if not longer, sometimes it's a drag but 90% of the time it pays off in great style and this flick is in that 90%, only problem I had was for how long it was, the character development was a little lacklustred, otherwise, I loved it.

Anyone who has watched the series or read the comics please leave your opinion as I would love to know your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Thomas Anderson Week: 'There Will Be Blood' Review!

'Tomb Raider' Review: First Successful Game Adaptation! Kudos!

'Love, Simon' Review: What A Nice Surprise!