'Tragedy Girls' Review: Is It Just Me, Or Does This Feel Like Some Of Rogen And Goldberg's Work!


• Tragedy Girls • Review • 8.5/10 •

'Tragedy Girls' is a fresh dark comedy with plenty of venom and crazy cleverness. It kinda felt like a flick that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg produced. I just can't help but think; If you gave them two a tragedy girl slasher flick to helm, I gaurentee it wouldn't be far off the mark from what we have here. I really thought I wouldn't enjoy this film so I just kept putting it off, but, boy I was pleasantly surprised, I was literally hooked within the first 5 minutes -- one of the most entertaining intros I have seen in a while.

Amazingly, the movie is bright and slick, without relying on gobs of social media imagery; it stays rooted in the present and in the characters. The supporting cast is uniformly strong, from Durand as the sneering, cackling killer to Craig Robinson as an iron-pumping firefighter and Nicky Whelan as a duplicitous teacher. Especially funny is Josh Hutcherson, viciously satirizing his teen heartthrob image with the help of some well-placed music cues. But it's Shipp and Hildebrand's show (they're both part of the X-Men movie universe), and they know how to run it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Thomas Anderson Week: 'There Will Be Blood' Review!

'Tomb Raider' Review: First Successful Game Adaptation! Kudos!

'Love, Simon' Review: What A Nice Surprise!