'I, Tonya' Review: Great Film, But I Wouldn't Call It A True Story!


⛸ I, Tonya ⛸ Review ⛸ 8.8/10 ⛸

Last night the misses and I sat and enjoyed one of the best acted but edgy biopics in recent years.

I, Tonya was a whole heap of fun, filled to the brim with exceptional performances from the likes of Sebastian Stan, Paul Walter Hauser, Allison Janney and obviosly Margot Robbie herself!

One of my favourite parts about the film was how the stars kept breaking the fourth wall, I really loved how Gillespie took that risk as it can sometimes take you out of a film, but, the way he handled the domestic abuse scenes were nothing short of spectacular, It was a clever device that lends itself to showing how contradictory Harding’s and Gillooly’s tales remain.

While we're on the subject of abuse, I just can't get the thoughts out of my head at how brutal and realistic some of the scenes actually were, I mean you witness Stan Gillooly (Stan) smash Tonya's head into ample walls, point blank punch her in the face, throw her around and more! Don't worry though because Tonya gave as good as she got at least half of the time!

The only problems I have with the film lies with the "facts" themselves, due to some extensive research I have done, I know that Tonya and her mum haven't spoken in years, therefore most scenes involving Lavona are told through Tonyas words, for example her mum recently did an interview saying and i quote "she's lied so much she doesn't know what isn't a lie anymore!"

All in all I wouldn't really call it a true story, but aslong as you don't take the film as gospel you should rather enjoy it! Due to the acting alone this film is definitely a film worth repeated viewings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Thomas Anderson Week: 'There Will Be Blood' Review!

'Tomb Raider' Review: First Successful Game Adaptation! Kudos!

'Love, Simon' Review: What A Nice Surprise!